Friday, August 15, 2014

Anna Akana, Daniel Radcliffe - What If

She's making herself a Leading Lady.

I first found out about Anna Akana toward the end of 2013 and literally watched all of her Youtube videos in one setting.  Many of her videos touched on topics that I'd been wanting to talk about because of similar experiences I'd had.  I was also extremely impressed with Anna's editing skills - I'm still trying to figure out how to keep my videos to 4 minutes.  

But Anna Akana instantly became this cool chick who casually talked about deeply personal things that- until I found her channel- I'd been too afraid to talk about on my own Youtube channel.  Then she came out with her web series - which was about time travel so naturally I loved it.  Then she started doing one short film a month, which is when she became my hero.


Recently, Anna got to do a promo video with Daniel Radcliffe for his new movie, 'What If."
Mind.  Officially.  Blown.

In this promo video Anna got to be that quintessential love interest.  Just as Anna decides she's going to stay single for a year and focus on herself - the universe steps in and boom!  She meets Daniel Radcliffe.  Granted, this was all obviously planned in advance.  Anna is no longer just a normal Youtuber vlogging about her life so this promo, which she actually wrote and directed herself, lined up with Daniel Radcliffe's film release - but so what.  Anyway, that's the point.  She was given the opportunity to write and direct something and she also had the power to cast herself in that project.  

Anna is not your typical Leading Lady.  That role is usually reserved for a certain type of girl who looks a certain type of way.  But Anna is changing the game.  Through her Youtube channel, her web series, her short films and now - this Daniel Radcliffe promo - she's making herself into a Leading Lady.  She's forcing the world to see her as a Leading Lady - not the sidekick girl or supporting character  - but the friggin' Leading Lady!    

And I totally dig it. 

Somewhere in the back of my mind I imagined myself doing what Anna has done - writing and producing projects and casting myself as the lead - but I never got around to actually doing it.  I guess I didn't really believe I could do it.  Deep down, I didn't think I was Leading Lady material and so when I wrote and directed Lila, Long Distance - my phone sex web series - I cast someone else as Lila because she was hot and White and I figured she'd get more views on Youtube than I would.  When I wrote and directed my short film, "Did You Look For Work This Week?" again, instead of casting myself as the lead (or in any of the three female parts that I liked) I cast friends because I didn't have enough confidence in myself to believe I could be in my own short film.  I can't believe I used to treat myself so poorly.  I wish I'd known about Anna Akana three years ago.  I wish I'd actually known her three years ago!  I probably would be a lot further along in my Leading Lady journey than I am.  

But it's OK because I can be inspired by her while I continue to work on myself.  Some ways that I've been making myself a Leading Lady are as follows -

1) Dressing the part.  Putting effort into my appearance with makeup and an actual outfit always helps my mood and makes me feel more confident.

2) Shameless plugging and self-promoting.  I was always shy about promoting myself but now I'm being braver about letting people know who I am and what I'm trying to do.  Especially when it comes to this blog and my Youtube channel.  If I don't tell people I'm out there - how will they find me?

3) Writing.  I've been writing again and it's been great.  Now when I think about characters for my sketches, one-acts, web series etc. I picture myself as the lead. 


One day I'll be in Anna's shoes - not literally - but you know what I mean.  I'll write and direct promo videos with some of my favorite actors (ahem, Idris Elba) and I'll be sure to include romantic coffee shop scenes and intense makeout sessions - hey, you never know.  Either way - I'll be seeing you soon, Daniel Radcliffe.   

What are some ways you're making yourself into a Leading Lady?

Leave a comment and let me know.  Don't forget to check out Anna's and Daniel Radcliffe's promo video.  Has anyone seen 'What If?'  Thoughts?

Hope everyone has an amazing weekend.  New Blog Post on Sunday!

Read My Previous Post "Unbox Yourself

Go Be Happy. Now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Me!

Name

Email *

Message *