Sunday, August 17, 2014

Not Everyone Is Your Competition

I was late for the bus as usual.

For someone who wanted so desperately to live in major cities like New York, Los Angeles and London I sure had a hard time using public transportation.  For some reason, I never leave my home with enough time to catch whatever bus or train I needed in order to reach my destination.

So on the night I was meant to meet a friend at the Ahmanson I left my apartment exactly 10 minutes before my bus was scheduled to arrive.  Which meant I needed to run if I was going to catch that bus.

I run on a regular basis so this was not really a big deal.  The problem was I was wearing a dress and heels and I'd just spent 20 minutes putting on makeup.  Running wasn't exactly ideal in a situation like this.  But that's what happens when you don't give yourself enough time to walk to the bus stop like a civilized human being.  You end up running ten blocks in heels, sweaty and out of breath and your carefully applied makeup totally wrecked.

Halfway through my ten-block run I got tired.  I said I run regularly - I never said I didn't get tired.  I slowed to a power walk to try to catch my breath.  At that exact moment, some douchebag jogger wearing super short, bright yellow jogging shorts and a matching headband zooms by.

From my perspective he was trotting more than jogging - like he'd been waiting to surpass me all along.  Like he was somehow the victor in this race because I was now powerwalking and he was still running.  I was not only irked by the ease with which he jogged by me but the air of arrogance that lingered long after he'd disappeared down the blocked really pissed me off.

Then my crazy set in...

Did this guy think he was a winner?  Does he think he just did something special here because he can run further without slowing down?  He's not doing anything special - I'm wearing heals for crying out loud.  Eff that guy...

I started running again and reached my bus stop just in time to see my bus pull away.  I had to wait another 30 minutes for the next bus.  While I waited those 30 minutes for the next bus I saw that same jogger walking back in the opposite direction.  He never even glanced in my direction.

I shook my head laughing to myself.  I'd gotten all worked up over this guy who, in reality, hadn't been in a race with me.  Sometimes I get competitive for no reason - like when I'm at the gym and some super fit girl takes the treadmill next to mine and I feel the need to push myself to run the same distance as her.  That type of competitiveness is probably OK since it does motivate me to workout but in this instance - I was simply having a crazy moment.  I was focusing on things in my peripheral instead of on my own path.  I'd created drama and discourse where there was none- and I'd missed my bus.

It was a friendly reminder that not everyone is my competition.  Not everyone is trying to do the same thing as me.  The only person I need to focus on competing against is myself.  "A flower does not think of competing with the flower next to it.  It just blooms."  I need to keep that in mind as I continue on this journey to Leading Lady.

I also really need to work on leaving my apartment on time so that I don't miss my bus.  Fortunately I made it to the Ahmanson in time for the show.  I saw Buyers and Cellars, by the way and it was amazing!!

Hope you all have fantastic Sunday!  Check out my previous post if you missed it.  Please follow me on Bloglovin to stay caught up.  And don't forget to subscribe and share!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Me!

Name

Email *

Message *