Friday, October 3, 2014

I Have Forgotten Everything

I'm not spinning a Nora Ephron quote or her book of essays into an original thought here.

I truly have forgotten everything.  And...I remember nothing.

Shortly after graduating from NYU I started to forget the names of people I went to school with.  There are certain people and names that will always stick with me.  Like the guy I was always butting heads with in film class and unexpectedly ran into at Trader Joe's clear across the country one random night.  Or the first girl to ever befriend me in college.  Or my college sweetheart.  Of course those are people who will stick with me for a long time.  But as for the rest of them it always takes me a moment to remember them.

It can be quite a jarring experience too.  Suddenly I'm standing in front of a guy who's smiling at me.  He knows me from sophomore year or something.  Apparently we were friends.  We joked around in class.  We even hung out in a group once or twice.   It's only been a couple of years since graduation and yet I have no recollection of who he is.  It's embarrassing.  And of course he thinks I'm just being pretentious and I don't have the heart to tell him I'm losing my memory.  I doubt he'd believe me anyway so I let it go.  We part ways and never see each other again - at least I don't think we do.  I wouldn't know for sure since I forget names and faces.

There are bits and pieces of my childhood missing.  But I feel like that's normal.  Don't most people forget the details of their childhood as they get older?  

There is a good chunk of my experience of NYU that remains blank to this day.  In my mind, I can remember freshman year.  Drinking my first long island iced tea.  My horrible roommates.  Spotting the boy I would crush on for all four years of college (and another three years after).  I can remember the first time my college sweetheart and I locked eyes.  And how much he made me laugh.

But then sophomore year came and everything just goes black until  graduation day.  Like, someone went into my head and Eternal-Sunshine-of-the-Spotless-Mind-ed me and took away my memories.  Along with those lost years are any people I may have met, hooked up with, offended, randomly drunk dialed, sexted, cussed out, tried to make out with and/or confessed my undying love to.  

If you are among those then please - drop me a line.  Re-introduce yourself and let's try this again OK?

Because I think the fog has lifted.  Whatever made me block out three years of college might be resolved and memories can resume.  I've been able to remember the last 5 years here in LA...so.  

Things are looking up.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Me!

Name

Email *

Message *